Richard Emery Nickolson
The Silence of Houses, Oil on linen, 30" x 36", 2011
Herron School of Art and Design
Richard Emery Nickolson was born on 21 August 1946 in Washington, DC. He has served as a Professor of Painting, Drawing, Foundations Studies and Critical Thinking at the Herron School of Art and Design, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana from 1973 to 2010 and as an Instructor in Art, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois in 1972-1973.
He received an MFA from Indiana University in 1972, and a BFA from the Maryland Institute College of Art in 1968. He attended the Yale University Summer School of Music and Art in 1967. He was assigned to the Office, Chief of Military History and the United States Army Combat Artist Team XI in 1970-1971.
He has served as a Visiting Professor of Painting, Drawing and Journaling at the Pont-Aven School of Contemporary Art in the city of Pont-Aven, Brittany, France in the summers of 1995, 1997, 2000, and 2007.
In 1997 he was a recipient of a Herron School of Art and Design Teaching Excellence Recognition Award (TERA), and was named by the Dean of Faculties as a Founding Faculty Member of the University College, IUPUI. In 2002 he was the recipient of an Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award (TTA). In 2003 he was elected to the Indiana University Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET), Indiana University, Indianapolis and Bloomington, Indiana.
He was a recipient of a 2005-2006 Creative Renewal Fellowship administered by the Indianapolis Arts Council and sponsored by the Eli Lilly Endowment of Indianapolis.
In 2008 he was the recipient of the Harry A. Davis Faculty Award for Extraordinary Commitment to the students of the Herron School of Art and Design, Indianapolis, Indiana, presented by the Indiana University Alumni Association.
All images copyright of the artists.